FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Lili Coleman, Executive Director
January 20, 2013 Bluffton,SC—Calling all cooks and local restaurants….Helping Never Tasted so Good. The Second Annual Red Apron Chili Cook off to benefit Bluffton Self Help will light red hot chili fires at Tanger 2 Outlets on Saturday, February 23 from 10 am to 5 pm. Cooks of all levels are invited to compete and raise funds for this local charity. Restaurants are also encouraged to participate. This cook off is a sanctioned regional event for the International Chili Society.
The world championships involve red and green chili categories, along with salsa. Competitors must first win a regional title from among dozens held around the United States and Canada. A “last chance” cook off also will give competitors who have yet to qualify one final try to enter the event. –more-
The RED APRON REGIONAL COOKOFF categories include:
• Red Traditional: Cooked on site, this category includes red spices, peppers and ingredients without fillers such as spaghetti, rice or beans.
• Verde Green: Cooked on site, this category includes green spices, peppers and ingredients without fillers such as spaghetti, rice or beans.
• Salsa: This category can be prepared on site or brought to the event.
• Homestyle: This category is prepared on site and includes a variety of chili recipes including white, seafood and others.
• People’s Choice: In this category restaurants and local cooks compete for the title of People’s Choice. This category is similar to Homestyle and can be brought to the event already prepared. Spectators will vote for the best local chili or salsa. This category does not require the participant to pay any sanctioning fees to the International Chili Society.
Registration information is listed on Bluffton Self Help’s website at www.blufftonselfhelp.org under events. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 843-757-8000.
BLUFFTON SELF HELP
Founded in 1987 to help Bluffton neighbors in critical need of short term financial assistance, food and clothing, while supporting them to become more self-reliant.
INTERNATIONAL CHILI SOCIETY
The International Chili Society (ICS) is a not-for-profit organization that sanctions chili cook offs with judging and cooking rules & regulations. These events are worldwide and benefit charities or non-profit organizations. ###