Bluffton Self Help has a Board of Directors that is responsible for setting the mission and strategic direction of the organization and for oversight of the finances, operations, and policies of Bluffton Self Help.
- Ensures that its members have the requisite skills and experience to carry out
- their duties, that all members understand and fulfill their governance duties by acting for the benefit of Bluffton Self Help and its public purpose, and that all members have specified terms of service;
- Has a conflict of interest policy that ensures that any conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof are avoided or appropriately managed through disclosure, recusal, or other means;
- Is responsible for the hiring, terminating, and regular review of the performance of the chief executive officer, and ensures that the compensation of the chief executive officer is reasonable and appropriate;
- Ensures that the CEO and appropriate staff provide the board with timely and comprehensive information so that the board can effectively carry out its duties;
- Ensures that Bluffton Self Help conducts all transactions and dealings with integrity and honesty;
- Ensures that Bluffton Self Help promotes working relationships with board members, staff, volunteers, members, and other stakeholders that are based on mutual respect, fairness, and openness;
- Ensures that Bluffton Self Help is fair and inclusive in its hiring and promotion policies and practices for board, staff, and volunteer positions;
- Ensures that policies of Bluffton Self Help are in writing, clearly articulated, and officially adopted;
- Ensures that the resources of Bluffton Self Help are responsibly and prudently managed; and
- Ensures that Bluffton Self Help has the capacity to carry out its programs effectively.