Community Needs Assessment
WITH MORE NEIGHBORS economically at risk THAN FINANCIALLY SECURE, Bluffton Self Help is leading a coordinated response to how human services are being offered in our community.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We envision communities where everyone has equal access to essential tools and resources to support their journey towards personal success.
WHAT WE DID
Bluffton Self Help completed an extensive community needs assessment in 2020-2021, in partnership with the Riley Center for Livable Communities.
WHAT WE LEARNED
The Lowcountry is a community in crisis. The interconnected issues of education, housing and transportation contribute to poverty in our community and our neighbors are suffering.
Click below to see the research and join us in our continued mission to bring our neighbors from surviving to thriving.
With more neighbors economically at risk than financially secure, Bluffton Self Help is leading a coordinated response to how human services are being offered in our community.
- We can no longer afford to have a singular focus – meeting the basic needs of our neighbors is not enough.
- The expansion of our education and career readiness programs includes more than a dozen available courses that tackle the topics of digital literacy, budgeting, goal setting, resume writing, job search, soft skills training, and citizenship in addition to our English as a Second Language and GED courses.
- We have evolved our approach from transactional to relational and are stepping in to advocate, support and guide Lowcountry residents on their journey towards self-sufficiency and thriving in their family, workplace, and community.
BSH is making an additional $1 million investment in our community this fiscal year.
- Bluffton Self Help has increased access to our education and career readiness offerings by expanding to four locations in Bluffton (two locations), Hardeeville and Hilton Head.
- Bluffton Self Help is quadrupling our client advocate team of social workers and has developed a volunteer team of client specialists to ensure that resources are available in each of our four locations.
- Bluffton Self Help is expanding our mentorship program, with volunteer mentors at the ready to guide neighbors on their path.
Moving our community from surviving to thriving.
When our neighbors are confident in their ability to provide for their family they are better employees, build self-confidence and ultimately have the time and space to be active members of their community.
We can’t do it alone.
By strengthening and formalizing our network of partnering agencies, area leaders, donors, and volunteers, we are helping to build a community of opportunity to provide a strong foundation of high-quality services fostering good health, personal development, job placement, financial stability, and career advancement.
Leave a Reply