The Accounting Manager is responsible for overall administration, input and preparation of
financial statements. The Accountant records all entries into financial software (Quickbooks), donor software (Kindful) and reconciles all bank and investment statements. Working with the Executive Director they will assist in preparation of budgets and financial forecasts. They will prepare, verify and evaluate monthly financial statements, support statements and accounting reports for the Executive Committee, Finance Committee and Board. The Accountant will be the lead on all Finance Committee meetings and attend and report at board meetings. This position must have experience in accounting and general knowledge of nonprofit accounting rules. Job duties include but are not limited to following as well as other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director as needed to meet the needs of the organization.
• Input all journal entries into Quickbooks including, donations, accounts payable and
• Follow all Bluffton Self Help cash handling procedures to ensure checks and cash are
deposited and recorded appropriately.
• Provide leadership, support and backup for annual audit
• Provide proper recognition for all donations
• Record all incoming donations including tracking restrictions
• Prepare, verify, and disseminate monthly financial statements, supporting schedules,
statistical analyses and accounting reports as necessary and appropriate for management
and monitoring agencies
• Prepare monthly Balance Sheet reconciliations
• Ensure all cash and receipts are collected and proper bank deposits are made
• Perform daily reconciliation of point of sale revenues, tax liabilities, and cash/ charge
• Provides entries for payroll to PEO system
• Manage any cash banks (petty cash, cash drawers) at property
• Prepare and/ or supervise the preparation of applicable federal, state and local tax returns
• Ensures that all business licenses, liquor licenses, certificates of operation, and other
licenses/ permits are current and properly maintained
• Ensure that procedures are in place to safeguard company assets, assure that records are
accurately maintained and that established policies and practices are satisfactorily and
• Works with Executive Director and Treasurer to ensure nonprofit accounting rules are
• Update, manage and track all organizational insurances including scheduling annual review
and presentation from broker
• Review, manage and track all financial investments with financial investment firm
• Communicate any and all discrepancies immediately to Executive Director
• Ensure proper bookkeeping, accounting and tracking of all financial and inkind revenue and expenses
• Reconcile all financial and donor software statements monthly
Skills and Qualifications:
• Minimum two years related experience; nonprofit experience a plus.
• Proficiency with spreadsheets, databases, and word processing.
• Proficient with QuickBooks.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a dynamic work environment.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to work as a team member with minimal supervision.
• Solid written and oral communication skills and excellent phone manner.
• Ability to develop effective work plans, organize details, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and with a team.
• Excellent time management skills, aptitude for proper task prioritization, and a results-oriented work process.
• Ability to handle sensitive matters with tact and discretion.
• Professional demeanor, integrity, tact, and good judgement.
• Dependable and punctual.
• Impeccable attention to detail.
• Ability to operate and troubleshoot standard office equipment.
• Interest in and commitment to Bluffton Self Help’s mission.
Required Education and Experience
• Business Degree preferred.
• High school diploma or equivalent plus two to three years’ previous experience.
• Employee must be able to take initiative and have a sense of urgency to accomplish tasks.
• Have strong interpersonal skills to work with a dynamic group ranging from staff,
volunteers, clients and board members.
• Must be solution orientated and work independently with little direction.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Typical days and hours are Monday – Friday 8 – 4pm. These are general hours and can vary weekly depending on schedules, meeting and weekend events. This role has occasional night and weekend hours.
401(k) & 401(k) matching
Flexible spending account
Paid time off
Please email your resume and cover letter along with your salary requirements to email@example.com.